Monday 9 August 2010

My big fancy (no) wedding

The question of today is simple... Why do people want to get marry so badly?

Living in a country with a very strong catholic tradition made me realize how for some reason and for some poeple, marriage is consider like part of the natural evolution of life. What if I don't want to get married? Maybe is not even that the question. Not long ago I started watching Sex & the City. I never wanted to watch it before (how a blond, thin and fancy girl living in the middle of New York could have something, anything, to do with my own life?). For my surprise I found that a Tv show fake reality is not that far away from my own real little world. So there they are, girls in their 30, singles. I'm not even 25, I'm way too young to be even thinking of this, so why then?

The truth is that my long relationship ex-boyfriend got married.

I'm glad social networks work so well, that well that I almost got the announcement on my wall. I'm not jealous, I'm not mad, sad or angry. It's like suddenly what my life was supposed to be when I was with him is screening in fornt of my eyes like a bad movie. If we were still toghether would be me with the flowers? Was I concious of the path I was taking when I made the decisions that ended up taking me here?

And then I start thinking how marriage and love have been mixed up. I heard girls wanting to get marry and I wonder if they even care with whom! Isn't it suppose to be the other way? Why (or even how!) would I be thiking of getting married if I don't have someone special in my life? I have been in long relationships (5 years of relationship and my ex takes only a year with his new girl and gets married!) and I know how everything can change. Signing a contract that says "you & me forever" looks a bit pointless if is a contract that can be practically and legally broken. I wonder again, what's the point? Is only that we need those categories (married, single, divorced!) that make us feel safe and give us kind of a social place? Do we have the need to tie another person and be tied ourselves to prove love? Can't we be naives and love plenty without rituals? Isn't love supposed to be between one and another, and noone else?

No comments: